Saturday, May 10, 2014

Spiraling into what matters

I'm listening to Parry Marshalls' 80-20 concept right now.

The basic idea is that 80% of ALL the results in any case come from 20% of the causes.

If you don't know what fractals are go watch a youtube video on it. It's very fascinating. It's a form a geometry which explains chaos. It's used to calculate the spirals and ebb and flow of the growth of a rain forest or the slashing of water, or the formation of the universe at both an astronomic scale as well as at an atomic level.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. But what I'm learning is that whatever you focus on continually you 'go deeper', if you use the fractal visualization.

You've probably heard the typical sales team analogy, that 80% of the sales will come from 20% of the sales people, and 20% of the sales will come from 80% of them..

Lets say you focus on fostering excellence at an infinitely deep level. You find that top 20% of sales people and give them whatever they need to become even more successful. But you find out that 20% of what they are doing which produces 80% of their results and foster that. And then you keep doing that. You'll find a top 5% of what they do that produces more results. And then a 1% that produces something like 65% of their results. You can just keep going and going.

It's a spiral. My current hypothesis is that is begins with a certain focus. Lets say that you're focus, (and this has been my focus) is to become more powerful as a person. Power meaning the speed at which I can produce a result in any area of life. This is what makes guns so 'powerful' as they can end life, and a lot of it, in a very short period of time. This is also what makes Mahatma Ghandi, or Martin Luther King, or Steve Jobs so powerful, since they are a single SOURCE for the cause of what they achieved. They are the pinnacle of the movement.

This is my aim. To be a powerful source of movement in life.

So similarly, if my possibility is "power" then I'm finding that 20% of what I do, how I think, or what I focus on, that produces 80% of my power, and then I hone that infinitely. Eventually I'll find the 1% of what I think or do or say...etc that produces 65% of my power and do more of that much, much, MUCH, more often.



No comments:

Post a Comment